Under the general supervision of the Fire Chief and the direct supervision of the Training / Communications Captain this position is responsible for providing all persons, emergency response personnel and public safety agencies with the highest quality of service by ensuring safe and efficient screening and processing of emergency and non-emergency calls for service.
Responsibilities of the selected candidate include:
- Dispatch, document and track the status and safety of all fire personnel and apparatus.
- Provide aid, safety, and support to response personnel by ensuring that messages are clear, concise and timely.
- Maintain accurate and uniform documentation procedures for all dispatched activity and shall be familiar with the procedures for all other data recording and entry responsibilities assigned to the Communications Center.
- Must be certified in Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD)
- Must be a certified Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalency
- Proficiency in speaking, reading and writing English
- Accurate typing of 30 words per minute is preferable
- Knowledge of the geography of the Town of Burlington is preferred
This is a full-time position with a rotating schedule consisting of 2 consecutive 10 hour day shifts, followed by 2 consecutive 14 hour night shifts followed by 4 days off, which over an eight week cycle averages a 42 hour work week. This position also requires the working of weekends and holidays as the regular schedule requires. Starting Salary at Grade 5, Step I of the BMEA Classification Plan is $21.24/hour.
Applications received by 12:00pm June 18, 2021 will receive first consideration. Position will remain open until filled.
Please note: MA General Laws mandate that any individual having direct contact at any time with either children or senior citizens be subject to CORI screening by the Criminal History Systems Board. Any conditional offer of employment is contingent upon a successful background check. Candidates shall also be required to satisfactorily complete Burlington Fire Department’s approved training programs.
Methods to apply for this position:
Click on the Apply Now button (preferred)
Joanne M. Faust, SPHR
Human Resources Director
Town of Burlington
29 Center Street
Burlington, MA 01803
The Town of Burlington is an Equal Opportunity Employer