Reporting to the Inspector of Buildings, the Local Inspector performs technical work connected with the interpretation, processing and enforcement of 780 CMR of the Massachusetts State Building Code, the Zoning Bylaws of the Town of Burlington, and all other applicable regulations. The Town of Burlington is home to over 1,500 corporations and 9,100 residential housing units.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
Minimum qualifications include
- Office and field work to explain, interpret, provide guidance, and enforce building regulations; confer with builders, architects, engineers, property owners, and the general public.
- Review plans for building construction and alteration to determine compliance with regulations.
- Inspect buildings to monitor compliance and safety.
- Investigate alleged zoning violations and takes appropriate action.
- Maintain associated logs, records, and reports.
This is a union position within the Burlington Municipal Employees Association bargaining unit. Salary is within Grade 10, of the BMEA contract, offering annual increases via step system. Pay range starts at $30.39/hr with a max rate of $48.77/hr. Starting rate is dependent upon experience, and includes comprehensive and generous benefits.
This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week.
Position will remain open until filled.
Please note: MA General Laws mandate that any individual having direct contact at any time with either children or senior citizens be subject to CORI screening by the Criminal History Systems Board. Any conditional offer of employment is contingent upon a satisfactory CORI result.
- Five years of experience in the supervision of building construction or design or associate degree in a field related to building construction or design.
- General knowledge of the quality and strength of building materials, accepted requirements for building construction, fire prevention, light, ventilation and safe exits; and a general knowledge of equipment and materials essential for safety, comfort, and convenience of occupants, and any regulatory energy requirements.
- Must be certified as a Local Building Inspector or Building Commissioner/Inspector of Buildings by the Board of Building Regulations and Standards, or obtain certification within 18 months of appointment in accordance with 780 CMR R7.
- Must hold an unrestricted Massachusetts Construction Supervisors License.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Computer skills.
- Ability to read blueprints.
- Ability to deal effectively with the general public, property owners, and the building community.
Methods to apply for this position:
Click on the Apply Now button (preferred)
Joanne M. Faust, SPHR
Human Resources Director
Town of Burlington
29 Center Street
Burlington, MA 01803
The Town of Burlington is an Equal Opportunity Employer