The Burlington Public Library is seeking to fill a vacancy for an Assistant Director. Reporting to the Director, the Assistant Director supports the entire range of day-to-day operations of the library in addition to assisting in the development and implementation of short and long-range plans. Anticipated start date is July 5, 2023.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Works with the Library Director in implementing policies, procedures, and goals. As part of the management team, supports the overall goals of the library as formulated by the Trustees and Director.
- Selects and purchases materials for a large part of the circulating collection.
- Organizes and supervises the Volunteer program.
- Organizes, promotes, and publicizes the Home Delivery program. As staff liaison to the Friends of the Burlington Public Library, attends Friends Board meetings, Friends Program Planning meetings, and programs.
- Prepares schedule for employees; in the absence of the Administrative Assistant assumes responsibility for payroll preparation.
- In conjunction with other library staff, determines programming needs for the adult community. Solicits and obtains a budget from the Friends of the Library to plan and implement programs for adults.
- Staffs public service desks as needed.
Recommended minimum qualifications include
- Masters of Library Science degree
- 3-5 years of progressively responsible professional library experience
- Broad range of management and administrative experience in a public library or equivalent setting
- Ability to supervise and direct the work of others
- Excellent computer skills and flexibility to adapt to constantly changing technology
- Excellent customer service skills
This is a full time position, 35 hours per week, including some evening hours, with the opportunity to work Sundays and summer Saturdays as overtime shifts.
This is a union position within the Burlington Municipal Employees Association bargaining unit. Salary is within Grade 11 of the BMEA contract. Pay range starts at $39.48/hr with the opportunity to
advance to a max rate of $55.21/hr through annual increases, and includes comprehensive and generous benefits.
Health and Dental Insurance
Paid Time Off - vacation, sick, personal, 13 holidays
Eligible for Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Applications received by March 30, 2023 will receive first consideration. Position will remain open until filled.
Methods to apply for this position:
Click on the Apply Now button (preferred)
Joanne M. Faust, SPHR
Human Resources Director
Town of Burlington
29 Center Street
Burlington, MA 01803
The Town of Burlington is an Equal Opportunity Employer